Re: [std-proposals] Allow downcasting at compile time if Derived has no extra member objects

From: Frederick Virchanza Gotham <cauldwell.thomas_at_[hidden]>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2023 11:12:15 +0000
On Thu, Feb 23, 2023 at 9:13 AM Jonathan Wakely wrote:

> It seems to me that you're coming up with unproven ideas
> on the fly and sending another email to this list suggesting
> it should be added to the standard. That's not how standardisation
> works, and it's not how it should work, and it doesn't seem like a
> good use of anybody's time.

The merit of any idea shouldn't be dependant upon how the idea popped
into the person's head.
Irrespective of whether it's a good idea to be able to 'lock' and
'unlock' a binary_semaphore, it is sometimes useful to be able to
treat an object of Base as though it were an object of Derived
(assuming they're 100% compatible).

I guess we just see the world differently, and that’s okay.