Re: [std-proposals] Allow downcasting at compile time if Derived has no extra member objects

From: Jonathan Wakely <cxx_at_[hidden]>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2023 11:25:56 +0000
On Thu, 23 Feb 2023 at 11:21, Frederick Virchanza Gotham via Std-Proposals <
std-proposals_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 23, 2023 at 9:13 AM Jonathan Wakely wrote:
> >
> > It seems to me that you're coming up with unproven ideas
> > on the fly and sending another email to this list suggesting
> > it should be added to the standard. That's not how standardisation
> > works, and it's not how it should work, and it doesn't seem like a
> > good use of anybody's time.
>

> The merit of any idea shouldn't be dependant upon how the idea popped
> into the person's head.

I'm not talking about the merit of the idea, I'm talking about the value of
proposing things for the C++ standard that have zero field experience and
just popped into your head ten minutes ago.

They might be good ideas, or they might not, but proposing things for
standardization as soon as you think of them is not a good use of anybody's
time.