Re: [std-proposals] Allow downcasting at compile time if Derived has no extra member objects

From: Tony V E <tvaneerd_at_[hidden]>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2023 18:08:55 -0500
On Thu, Feb 23, 2023 at 6:12 AM Frederick Virchanza Gotham via
Std-Proposals <std-proposals_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 23, 2023 at 9:13 AM Jonathan Wakely wrote:
> >
> > It seems to me that you're coming up with unproven ideas
> > on the fly and sending another email to this list suggesting
> > it should be added to the standard. That's not how standardisation
> > works, and it's not how it should work, and it doesn't seem like a
> > good use of anybody's time.
>

> The merit of any idea shouldn't be dependant upon how the idea popped
> into the person's head.

That's true.
However, if it really is a good idea, then it will still be a good idea two
weeks later.

> I guess we just see the world differently, and that’s okay.

Except that it does impose a burden on a large number of people. Estimate
the number of people on this list and multiply that by how much time it
takes each of them to consider a proposal and then wait some multiple
(greater than 1) of that amount of time before posting.

--
Be seeing you,
Tony