Re: [std-proposals] set_new_handler extension

From: Jason McKesson <jmckesson_at_[hidden]>
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2023 11:54:53 -0500
On Fri, Feb 17, 2023 at 11:43 AM Phil Bouchard via Std-Proposals
<std-proposals_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On 2/17/23 11:32, Thiago Macieira via Std-Proposals wrote:
> > On Friday, 17 February 2023 01:02:37 PST Phil Bouchard via Std-Proposals
> > wrote:
> >> So what's the decision on this? Toss it under the carpet again or bring
> >> forth a fix?
> >
> > There's no consensus that there is anything to be fixed in the first place.
>
> Well despite what Jason said earlier, there are 15,500 hits for a search
> engine search such as Google on the subject:
> https://www.google.com/search?q=rtlfreeheap+crash

The fact that you find this meaningful is telling of your thought
processes. I mean, if there were actually a problem, you could show us
a program that exhibited that problem. But you don't; you instead
point to a Google search filled with "hits"... but of what?

The first hit from that search I found
(https://stackoverflow.com/questions/2593723/c-msvc6-application-crashes-due-to-heap-corruption-any-hints)
was a Stack Overflow question where this is the first sentence of the
first answer:

> As your second stack trace shows, your application is corrupting the heap.

Here's another hit of heap corruption:
(https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/967e725c-4202-4ae3-9009-d4c88c209cca/crashing-in-ntdlldll-rtlallocateheap?forum=vclanguage)

If your program starts corrupting memory, a very common outcome is
that heap allocation functions break. Which is not Microsoft's fault,
no matter how much you hate them.