Re: [SG16] iconv-style interface for transcoding functions

From: Peter Brett <pbrett_at_[hidden]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2021 11:27:26 +0000
Hi Jens,

Thank you for sending this suggestion through. It'll be good input for a discussion at the start of our next meeting.

One of the features in the current paper that would be lost is described in (3.5):

    (3.5) - If output_size is not NULL, then *output_size will be
            decremented the amount of code units that would have
            been written to *output (even if output was NULL). If
            the output is exhausted (*output_size will be
            decremented below zero), the function returns
            MCHAR_INSUFFICIENT_OUTPUT.

This allows the restartable transcoding functions to be used to measure the amount of space required to store the results of a transcoding operation without pre-allocating a buffer.

This is valuable. How would it be provided in a hypothetical [begin, end) pointer interface?

Best regards,

                                     Peter