Re: Provide build systems with ways to build the std(.compat) modules

From: Boris Kolpackov <boris_at_[hidden]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2023 09:43:18 +0200
Daniel Ruoso <daniel_at_[hidden]> writes:

> On Fri, Jul 7, 2023, 08:40 Boris Kolpackov via SG15 <sg15_at_[hidden]>
> wrote:
>
> > In build2 we are using the pkg-config format (which supports arbitrary
> > variables) to provide the mapping of module names to module interface
> > files (besides other things) to avoid "search paths".
> >

> The consensus we have reached before is that we would find the metadata
> file with information about modules co located with the library file itself
> (e.g.: by using the link line fragments you get from pkg-config to resolve
> it).

Have you considered how this will work for "binless" libraries (header-
only before modules, module interface-only after), which don't have the
"library file itself" (I assume you refer to the library binary, such
as .a/.so)?

Some relevant reading: https://github.com/build2/libpkg-config#recommended-usage