Re: Provide build systems with ways to build the std(.compat) modules

From: Daniel Ruoso <daniel_at_[hidden]>
Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2023 13:46:59 +0100
On Fri, Jul 7, 2023, 08:40 Boris Kolpackov via SG15 <sg15_at_[hidden]>
wrote:

> In build2 we are using the pkg-config format (which supports arbitrary
> variables) to provide the mapping of module names to module interface
> files (besides other things) to avoid "search paths".

The consensus we have reached before is that we would find the metadata
file with information about modules co located with the library file itself
(e.g.: by using the link line fragments you get from pkg-config to resolve
it).

I believe the modules provided by the standard library should be documented
the same way, and the path to the source files would be resolved from the
metadata file.

Of course it still makes sense to have a reasonably homogeneous
installation directory, but that homogeneity is not necessary for the build
system to discover it.

Daniel