Re: [isocpp-ext] Can we expect that all C++ source files can have the same suffix?

From: Daniel Ruoso <daniel_at_[hidden]>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2022 08:42:54 -0400
Em qua., 18 de mai. de 2022 às 07:26, Stephen Kelly via SG15
<sg15_at_[hidden]> escreveu:
> The reason I got interested in your work there was to see what artifacts
> you install and where. It seems that in that mode, headers are
> installed, but I don't see anything in the install prefix that would
> make it possible for downstreams to use it

Discussing how libraries are distributed and how a build system can
discover the modules provided by a library when it's installed has
been the subject I've been focusing on for the past 10 months. We're
still not where we need to be.

The current work-in-progress patch in CMake will install files and
produce the necessary information in the export file, but that has to
be just a temporary arrangement. We will be in a very bad place if
modules can only be used if you use the same build system as the
library you are trying to reuse.

We are nearing some consensus on that area, and while it's not going
to be something that is applicable everywhere, we seem to be on the
same page that whenever you can resolve a link line early enough, we
should be able to find module metadata for that library (see
https://wg21.link/P2577R2 ). That paper also outlines what the next
steps in that work need to be.

Ultimately, this needs to be addressed with more convergence in the
package management space, but that's an even longer conversation.

daniel