Re: P2581R0: Specifying the Interoperability of Binary Module Interface Files

From: Daniel Ruoso <daniel_at_[hidden]>
Date: Wed, 4 May 2022 11:27:22 -0400
Em qua., 4 de mai. de 2022 às 10:22, Daniela Engert via SG15
<sg15_at_[hidden]> escreveu:
> Not only header-units are special but also "the TU type colloquially called 'module
> implementation partition'". See column 'contributes to BMI'.

Right. I think "module implementation partition" doesn't really
correspond to a concept in the language.

Let me try to enumerate a tentative list of terms that we could use in
tooling. At some point we should turn this into a paper that would be
in a "Terminology" section of the technical report from SG15 (this is
just an initial attempt, feedback is welcome):

 1. "Module Interface Units": Any translation unit that needs to be
visible (presumably through binary module interface files) to a
translation unit outside of the module in order for it to be
successfully imported.

   1.1. "Module Interface Primary Unit": The translation unit with
"export module foo;".

   1.2. "Module Interface Partition Units": The translation units with
either "module foo:bar" or "export module foo:baz".

     1.2.1. "Exported Module Interface Partition Units": The
translation units with "export module foo:baz"

     1.2.2. "Non-exported Module Interface Partition Units": The
translation units with "module foo:bar"

 2. "Module Implementation Units": The translation units with "module foo;"

daniel