Re: P2581R0: Specifying the Interoperability of Binary Module Interface Files

From: Ben Boeckel <ben.boeckel_at_[hidden]>
Date: Tue, 3 May 2022 10:32:00 -0400
On Tue, May 03, 2022 at 12:48:24 +0000, Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:
> I have a lot to say in this thread, but a request for the CMake folks:
>
> > CXX_MODULE_HEADERS
>
> Please, can we avoid "module headers" or "header modules" as terminology in the community?
> We've settled on "header units". If we need something more than that, please let's work on it.

There are currently three names used:

  - `CXX_MODULES`: for any TU which uses `export` (module or partition)
  - `CXX_MODULE_INTERNAL_PARTITIONS`: for any TU which is a partition
    without `export` and not an implementation unit (needs to be
    separate because of the `-internalPartition` flag is needed during
    scanning; it wouldn't be that important if the non-standard MSVC
    extention needed the flag and this one did not)
  - `CXX_MODULE_HEADERS`: for header units

Would `CXX_MODULE_HEADER_UNITS` be more acceptable? Are the other names
fine? FWIW, further bikeshedding can go here to avoid cluttering the
list:

    https://gitlab.kitware.com/cmake/cmake/-/merge_requests/7224

We can also move to Discourse if it gets too long on GitLab.

--Ben