Re: [isocpp-ext] Can we expect that all C++ source files can have the same suffix?

From: Steve Downey <sdowney_at_[hidden]>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2022 20:26:26 -0400
On Mon, Apr 25, 2022 at 4:02 PM Iain Sandoe <idsandoe_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> > On 25 Apr 2022, at 19:43, Steve Downey via SG15 <sg15_at_[hidden]>
> wrote:

<snip>

> > Possibly for the system compiler, so that the BMI for
> <boost/smart_ptr.hpp> could be produced upon installation of the boost
> library.
>
> With at least two of the current implementations, this is not a viable
> proposition - since the BMI is dependent on the compile options - therefore
> there is no single “BMI to install” - and the set of permutations would be
> too large to be practicable.
>
> Iain
>

> It's dependent on the compiler options, but a Linux distro controls that.
If it's so sensitive to flags that any change makes it useless, it will be
functionally useless in a medium to large build where the flags are always
heterogenous across TUs.
For system libraries, the question is if the flags are compatible with the
available library. It's a little more complicated question for header only,
but it still comes down to not violating the ODR, as the header only may be
used in other distro provided libraries.

Other considerations, like having to do this for every compiler and on
every upgrade, probably make it infeasible, though.