Re: [isocpp-ext] Can we expect that all C++ source files can have the same suffix?

From: Nicolai Josuttis <nico_at_[hidden]>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2022 13:52:42 +0200
Thanks a lot Ben,

oh yes, you are right.
You have to parse the C++ source file to find the real module declaration.

AFAIU, these would be the rules, right?:

*export module* /<name//*without*//colon> /

   identifies a module interface

*export module* /<name//*with*//colon>/

   identifies an interface partition

*module* /<name//*without*//colon> /

   identifies module implementation

*module* /<name//*with*//colon> /

   identifies an internal partition

Despite any convention, it would of course be best if compilers can
always check for that and do the right thing automatically (or at least
complain if the suffix does not fit with the content).
Unfortunately, this is not the case for VC++ yet (so you have to use
different suffixes for generic rules).

OK, but that is quality of implementation of a specific vendor.

For SG15, it would be great to agree that any suffix is possible and
that it should always be possible to have just *one command line to
compile all code* a C++ program using modules (unfortunately, Visual C++
currently does not allow both /interface and /internalPartition at the
same command line; but I have submitted a bug report).

Than we can the community let decide over time which suffixes they
prefer (yes, another mess created by us, but...).

BTW, what is the current state of recommended suffixes?

Do you now all agree on .cppm or .cppi or so (the most self-explanatory
suffix from clang; programmers shake heads about .ixx)?

If so, I really would like to document that as the way to implement
modules portably now.

As I am not party of SG15 (my time is limited), an answer also directly
to me would be great.

Thanks.

  Nico

--