Re: [isocpp-ext] Can we expect that all C++ source files can have the same suffix?

From: Boris Kolpackov <boris_at_[hidden]>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2022 13:42:04 +0200
Gabriel Dos Reis <gdr_at_[hidden]> writes:

> There are environments where the static inputs to the builds and
> a transcript of the decision making process need to be persisted
> for post-build auditing (was the build subverted in unsuspected
> ways?); that is fundamental and non-negotiable in those setups.

Sure, nothing prevents you from saving the transcripts of the module
mapper exchange. In fact, build2 does this at a sufficiently high
verbosity levels along with the command lines to allow the user to
replay the mapper replies, say, for troubleshooting.

> I do find values in a module mapper where an interactive
> development (like active IDE development) can do with dynamic
> queries. But I am skeptical that it is the answer for all.

Sure, module mapper approach is not without its complications (I
even wrote a paper on this). But so far the only proposed alternative
is to pre-scan the world, which doesn't feel scalable (and, as you
know, I have doubts it can be implemented correctly for header units).