Re: [SG15] [isocpp-ext] Modularization of the standard library andABI stability

From: Corentin <corentin.jabot_at_[hidden]>
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2020 11:02:33 +0100
On Mon, 9 Mar 2020 at 10:45, Bryce Adelstein Lelbach aka wash via Ext <
ext_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> I want a scope on that reorganization.

Again, the reorganization scope is limited by our willingness and ability
to break abi
At the end of the day everything will still be owned by the global module
fragment.

> What problems do we want to solve? Possible answers:
>
> - Finer grained access to things, either in addition to or in place of
> coarse access (for example being able to just get function, not all of
> <functional>)

very small modules FOR THE STANDARD LIBRARY provides little benefits

> - More logical access to things (tuple is in <tuple>, so clearly pair must
> be in <pair>... oh wait)

I think that's more example or too small modules

> - Freestanding concerns (separate function from parts of <functional> that
> are complicated to freestandingifyl

Having the free standing bits in a module seem useful
Some precedent in rust. of course non trivial because of partially free
standing things. I imagine that for the purposes of modules, having
partially free standing classes considered free standing makes sense. I
guess some exploration is needed there.