On Mon, 9 Mar 2020 at 10:45, Bryce Adelstein Lelbach aka wash via Ext <ext@lists.isocpp.org> wrote:
I want a scope on that reorganization.

Again, the reorganization scope is limited by our willingness and ability to break abi
At the end of the day everything will still be owned by the global module fragment.

What problems do we want to solve? Possible answers:

- Finer grained access to things, either in addition to or in place of coarse access (for example being able to just get function, not all of <functional>)

very small modules FOR THE STANDARD LIBRARY provides little benefits

- More logical access to things (tuple is in <tuple>, so clearly pair must be in <pair>... oh wait)

I think that's more example or too small modules

- Freestanding concerns (separate function from parts of <functional> that are complicated to freestandingifyl

Having the free standing bits in a module seem useful
Some precedent in rust. of course non trivial because of partially free standing things. I imagine that for the purposes of modules, having partially free standing classes considered free standing makes sense. I guess some exploration is needed there.

On Mon, Mar 9, 2020, 02:39 Ville Voutilainen <ville.voutilainen@gmail.com> wrote:
On Mon, 9 Mar 2020 at 11:33, Bryce Adelstein Lelbach aka wash
<brycelelbach@gmail.com> wrote:

> I wrote a paper that in large part was a response to P0581, so yes, I've read it a few times.
>
> https://wg21.link/P1453
>
> It sounded like you were trying to make a point. Can you be clearer about what that point was?

P0581 has some bits of rationale for providing named modules, not just
transitioned headers.
Reorganization seems to be one of them.