Subject: Re: [ub] [c++std-ext-14555] Sized integer types and char bits
From: Gabriel Dos Reis (gdr_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-10-19 02:03:47

Ion Gaztañaga <igaztanaga_at_[hidden]> writes:

[...]

| For modern systems with CHAR_BIT != 8, please see:
|
| ----------------------
| 24-bit Freescale DSPs:
| http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/homepage.jsp?code=563XXGPDSP
| ----------------------

Thanks Ion!
And thanks for your patience and resending the information you sent earlier
on this topic; this is very helpful.

>From my view, this underscores the importance for us to keep thinking
about the issues within a(n abstract) parameterized model, as opposed to
just the immediate hardware we are familiar with. What do we gain by
instantiating the entire abstract machine with CHAR_BITS == 8? I can't
tell. Would we alienate computational devices? Yes. Do we care?
I think we should. This is just one instance; but I have a sense that
we actually have a pattern here.

-- Gaby

SG12 list run by herb.sutter at gmail.com