Re: RFC: disjoint qualifier

From: Eric Lengyel <lengyel_at_[hidden]>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2020 14:40:44 -0700
Hi Jeroen --

Thanks for your input. The main ideas of the disjoint proposal are that (a)
restrict is not a good fit for C++, (b) disjoint makes use of the type
system to prevent at least one class of possible mistakes, and (c) when the
disjoint qualifier is present, the compiler can always assume no aliasing on
the affected storage. The correctness of this last assumption is the
responsibility of the programmer.

   disjoint int* gp6;
   void foo(disjoint int *p1, int *p2, int *p3, int i, int j) {
     int *p4=p1;
     disjoint int *p5=p1; // is this allowed ? --- YES, not UB
     *p1 = 1; // will this alias ? --- Compiler always assumes NO
     *p2 = 2; // may alias with *p3, any other aliases ? --- NO
     *p3 = 3; // may alias with *p2, any other aliases ? --- NO
     *p4 = 4; // will this alias ? --- Compiler must assume YES
     *p5 = 5; // will this alias ? --- Compiler always assumes NO
     *gp6= 6; // will this alias ? --- Compiler always assumes NO
     p1[i] = p1[j]+1; // will the store and the load alias ? --- Compiler
always assumes NO
   }

On the last line above, since *p1 is disjoint storage, the compiler is
allowed to assume no aliasing on all loads and stores without any further
analysis. There is no concept of 'based on'. It is the programmer's
responsibility to ensure that the sets of values attained by the indexes i
and j are themselves disjoint. (In this particular example, it would mean
that i != j when passed to the function, but you can imagine them being
something like loop indexes.) The disjoint keyword is a promise by the
programmer that accesses to the storage do not overlap. This includes any
patterns like strided accesses from n4150.

The disjoint qualifier is intended to be simple to implement and easy to
understand through its absolute effects. The compiler would never need to
figure out that one pointer is based on another, and it is not allowed to
deduce any non-aliasing properties from such a relationship.

The line "int *p4 = p1" would be the preferred way for a programmer to
inform the compiler that it's going to access the storage in a
possibly-aliased manner.

-- Eric