Re: RFC: disjoint qualifier

From: Jeroen Dobbelaere <Jeroen.Dobbelaere_at_[hidden]>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2020 17:27:38 +0000
(Repost, I just subscribed to the std-proposals mailing list).

Hi Eric, Ronan et al,

I am not on the std-proposals mailing list, but I am glad that Ronan added me to his reply.

Having implemented all of 'restrict' for clang/llvm [1], I can say that the C restrict
specification is dense and terse, but it is also complete. Extra examples documenting the important
consequences of the wording would have been useful and lack thereof is one (but not the only one)
of the things that IMHO makes restrict hard to understand.

In a c++ world, 'restrict' has its place as a compiler extension, but it is indeed not a good match.
As such, I can agree with some of the complaints in the 'disjoint_lengyel.pdf' document.

But I do not agree with the proposed solution. IMHO, a single 'disjoint' qualifier on a type
will not do. Also, IMHO, the proposal lacks a decent description (See 10.1.7.1, para 3 and 7)
on what the impact is of the 'disjoint' qualifier wrt to aliasing and 'based on'.

 Like:
   disjoint int* gp6;
   void foo(disjoint int *p1, int *p2, int *p3, int i, int j) {
     int *p4=p1;
     disjoint int *p5=p1; // is this allowed ?
     *p1 = 1; // will this alias ?
     *p2 = 2; // may alias with *p3, any other aliases ?
     *p3 = 3; // may alias with *p2, any other aliases ?
     *p4 = 4; // will this alias ?
     *p5 = 5; // will this alias ?
     *gp6= 6; // will this alias ?
     p1[i] = p1[j]+1; // will the store and the load alias ?
   }

More examples that show how a new feature is supposed to be used and be useful are always welcome.
In this context, also examples showing what it is not expected to work are useful, maybe not for
the 'standard', but at least for the proposal. (Can we model strided accesses, like in one of the
examples in n4150 ? Next to the aliasing guarantees, do we get guarantees about pointer comparisons ?
...)

Besides the effect on types and classes, it would also be interesting to learn how the feature interacts
with the standard library (std::vector, ...) and templates.

With 'restrict', the 'based on' hierarchy is clearly defined, just like the scope where it is valid.
In combination with c++, you want to be able to specify that a certain access in a 'leaf function'
will/will not alias an access in another 'leaf function'. That is harder to model with restrict.
I do think that the alias_set proposal (n4150) or at least, an improved version of it, can have a
role here. At the same time, it has the potential of 'fixing' the type-safety issue that restrict has.

my 5 cents

Greetings,

Jeroen Dobbelaere
[1] https://reviews.llvm.org/D68484