C++ Logo

std-discussion

Re: Setting wording for bit manipulation for non-binary hardware

From: Thiago Macieira <thiago_at_[hidden]>
Date: Sat, 06 Mar 2021 17:46:08 -0800
On Saturday, 6 March 2021 15:57:27 PST Vishal Oza via Std-Discussion wrote:
> The base of this idea is to add an undefined behavior clause if one writes
> C++ using bit manipulation in a target machine that does not use binary
> arithmetic in its arithmetic model.

I invite you to make your hardware and, in the process, decide how much of the
last 50 years of software development as well as standardisation memory
models, von Neumann / Harvard / modified Harvard architectures, binary and
hexadecimal notations, among other things, you want to throw away.

*After* you've come up with a reasonable architecture that has a chance of
being anything but an academic experiment, we can talk about implications.

No one in the C++ community, or the C community for that matter, is going to
take seriously a proposal to make UB or even IB something that is today an
underpinning of the design without compelling motivation. You must provide
that motivation.