C++ Logo

std-discussion

Re: Setting wording for bit manipulation for non-binary hardware

From: David Bakin <david_at_[hidden]>
Date: Sat, 6 Mar 2021 16:32:51 -0800
According to P0909R4, which either was adopted for C++20 or some close
descendent was adopted for C++20, not only is arithmetic on signed integers
now always two's complement, in C++, but also "the representations of
integral types shall define values by use of a pure binary numeration system"
(although TBH I don't know where that wording comes from now, that wording
was in C++03 standard apparently).

Anyway, to me that means that official standard C++ requires binary
representation, period.

Now, if you want to write (or somehow acquire) a C++-ish language compiler
for a non-binary computer or device then that's ok. It's just necessarily
going to be not *really* C++ but some approximation. You shouldn't call it
C++, but you could, if you wanted, and the language was close enough, just
distribute an errata sheet that said "this compiler isn't really C++, but
its close, so use the C++ standard as a baseline but know that the
following changes apply to this non-C++ language you're working with here"
- followed by a list of said changes. Including how the bit and bitset
libraries and the bit manipulation operators work with that non-C++
compiler.

But you wouldn't, IMO, change the C++ standard to accommodate it. The
standard already excludes non-binary computers, so it's inapplicable. IMO.