Re: [SG16] SG16 meeting summary for December 9th, 2020

From: Hubert Tong <hubert.reinterpretcast_at_[hidden]>
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2021 22:10:54 -0500
On Tue, Dec 29, 2020 at 1:11 AM Tom Honermann via SG16 <
sg16_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> The summary for the SG16 meeting held December 9th, 2020 is now
> available. For those that attended, please review and suggest corrections:
>
> - https://github.com/sg16-unicode/sg16-meetings#december-9th-2020
>
> Hi Tom,

Thanks for the notes.

With respect to the following:

Hubert stated that encompasing the console in a separate facility would
pose challenges.

I raised at least one specific challenge:

Hubert stated that encompasing the console in a separate facility would
pose challenges because it assumes the presence of a unique "console" in
the environment.

With regards to:

Hubert explained that z/OS supports two modes:

    ASCII: interfaces are provided that perform conversion from an internal
encoding when writing to a stream; this is commonly used for simple
encodings.
    EBCDIC: this is a byte pass through mode.

I'm quite sure I didn't say that EBCDIC is a byte pass through mode.

My recollection is that I said something like:
On z/OS, an application could internally be in ASCII or EBCDIC mode. Open
file handles can be imbued with the property of being ASCII or EBCDIC. The
C-level I/O APIs can automatically translate at least single-byte encodings.

-- HT