Subject: Reminder: SG16 telecon tomorrow, Wednesday, 2020-12-09
From: Tom Honermann (tom_at_[hidden])
Date: 2020-12-08 12:29:01
This is your friendly reminder that an SG16 telecon will be held
tomorrow, Wednesday December 9th, at 19:30 UTC (timezone conversion
The original calendar invite for this meeting had a duration of 2 1/2
hours.Â That was my mistake; the duration is our typical 90 minutes.Â
Thanks to Hubert for alerting me.
This meeting will be conducted via Zoom.Â To attend, visit
https://iso.zoom.us/j/8414530059 at the start of the meeting.Â Please
contact me privately if necessary for the meeting password.
The agenda is:
* P2093R2: Formatted output <https://wg21.link/p2093r2>
o Continue discussion.
Please review the summary of discussion for P2093R2 at our last telecon
further discussion on the SG16 mailing list starting at
https://lists.isocpp.org/sg16/2020/11/1941.php and continued at
https://lists.isocpp.org/sg16/2020/12/1950.php. Please enjoy a good
belly laugh at the mojibake exhibited there. Prompted by those
discussions, please be prepared to discuss:
* The association between the (compile-time) execution encoding and
the (run-time) locale sensitive system encoding and the proposed use
of the (compile-time) execution encoding to affect choice of
(run-time) system encoding.
* Differing output behavior for various languages; bytes for C,
Fortran, Go, Rust and encoded text for Java, C#, Perl, Python. Is
this a bytes or text facility?
* How transcoding failures should be handled (due to both ill-formed
input and (if relevant) non-convertable characters).
* How programmers can bypass implicit transcoding in order to format
raw bytes; or whether they should be able to.
* How transcoding can be separated from the formatting facility; or if
it should be.
No decisions are anticipated at this meeting, but direction polls may be
SG16 list run by firstname.lastname@example.org