Re: [SG16] Draft proposal: Clarify guidance for use of a BOM as a UTF-8 encoding signature

From: Tom Honermann <tom_at_[hidden]>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2020 00:47:03 -0400
On 10/13/20 5:19 PM, Shawn Steele wrote:

> IMO this document doesn’t solve your problem. The problem of
> encourage use of UTF-8 in C++ source code is a goal that most
> compilers/source code authors/etc are totally onboard with.
>
> The source is already in an indeterminate state. The desired end
> state is to have UTF-8 source code (without BOM), which is typically
> supported. The difficulty is therefore getting from point A to point
> B. As far as “Use Unicode” goes, there’s no issue, but trying to
> specify BOM as a protocol doesn’t really solve the problem,
> particularly in complex environments.

I think there is a misunderstanding. The intent of the paper is to
provide rationale for the existing discouragement for use of a BOM in
UTF-8 while acknowledging that, in some cases, it may remain useful. My
intent is to discourage use of a BOM for UTF-8 encoded source files -
thereby arguing against standardizing the behavior exhibited by
Microsoft Visual C++ today.

> If the compiler doesn’t handle BOM as expected, then you’ll get
> errors. This can be further complicated by preprocessors, #include,
> resources, etc. If “specifying BOM behavior in Unicode” could help
> solve the problem, then all of the tooling used by everyone would have
> to be updated to handle that (new) requirement. If you could get
> everyone on the same page, they’d all use UTF-8, so you wouldn’t need
> to update the tooling. If you don’t need to update the tooling, you
> wouldn’t need to update the best practices for BOMs.

This paper does not propose "specifying BOM behavior in Unicode". If
you feel that it does, please read it again and let me know what leads
you to believe that it does.

The tooling isn't the problem. The problem is the existing source code
that is not UTF-8 encoded or that is UTF-8 encoded with a BOM. The
deployment challenge is with those existing source files. Microsoft
Visual C++ is going to continue consuming source files using the Active
Code Page (ACP) and IBM compilers on EBCDIC platforms are going to
continue consuming source files using EBCDIC code pages. The goal is to
provide a mechanism where a UTF-8 encoded source file can #include a
source file in another encoding or vice versa. Any solution for that
will require tooling updates (and that is ok).

> Personally, I’d prefer if cases like this ignore BOMs (or use them to
> switch to UTF-8); eg: treat BOMs like whitespace. But this isn’t a
> problem solvable by any recommendation by Unicode.

When consuming text as UTF-8, I agree that ignoring a BOM is usually the
right thing to do and would be the right thing to do when consuming
source code.

> As you noted, many systems provide mechanisms for indicating that code
> is UTF-8 or compiling with UTF-8, regardless of BOM.

Yes, but there is no standard solution, not even a defacto one, for
consuming differently encoded source files in the same translation unit.

> A rather large codebase I’ve been working with has been working to
> remove encoding confusion, and it’s a big task 😁

Yes, yes it is.

Tom.