Re: [SG16] Draft proposal: Clarify guidance for use of a BOM as a UTF-8 encoding signature

From: Tom Honermann <tom_at_[hidden]>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2020 17:06:28 -0400
On 10/13/20 4:42 PM, Shawn Steele wrote:

> My assertion is that if the application cannot change to UTF-8 due to
> legacy considerations, that the subtleties of whether to use a BOM or
> not also cannot be prescribed. If the application could follow best
> practices, it would use UTF-8. Since it cannot use UTF-8, therefore
> it can’t follow any prescribed behavior. Therefore anything beyond
> “Use Unicode!” is merely suggestions. Terminology like “require”
> implies a false sense of rigor that these applications can’t follow in
> practice.

This is why the prescription remains abstract:

  * If possible, use something other than a BOM.
  * As a last resort, use a BOM.

I am effectively proposing that as a best practice.

> Eg: Presume I have a text editor that has been used in some context
> for some time. If I’m told “use UTF-8”, that’s cool, I could try to
> do that, but if I cannot, then I’m in an exceptional path. Unicode
> could suggest that I consider behavior for BOMs (such as ignoring them
> if present), however I’m already stuck in my legacy behavior, so
> there’s a limit to what my application can do.

This scenario fits the advice above. The "use something other than a
BOM" could mean adding a command line option, adding a menu option,
remembering what encoding was used for that file last time, performing a
heuristic analysis (that may or may not include the presence of a BOM in
its calculation), prompting the user, etc...

> However, if Unicode says “if you see a BOM, then you must use UTF-8”,
> then users of my legacy application that is difficult to change, may
> have expectations of the application that don’t match reality. They
> could even enter bugs like “The app isn’t recognizing data being
> tagged with BOMs.” Or “your system isn’t compliant, so we can’t
> license it.” If the app could properly handle UTF-8, we’d have been
> captured in the first requirements and wouldn’t even be having this
> part of the conversation. Since they can’t handle UTF-8, trying to
> enforce it through the BOM isn’t going to add much.

No part of this proposal states "if you see a BOM, then you must use
UTF-8". It only suggests guidelines; requirements are imposed by
protocols as deemed appropriate by the protocol designers.

> IMO it’s better that everyone involved understand that this legacy app
> that can’t handle UTF-8 by default isn’t necessarily going to behave
> per any set expectations and likely has legacy behaviors that users
> may need to deal with.
>
> Granted, the difference between “requiring,” and “suggesting” or
> “recommending”, may be subtle, however those subtleties can sometimes
> cause unnecessary pain.
>
> I don’t mind mandating UTF-8 without BOM if possible. I don’t really
> mind mandating that BOMs be ignored if “without BOM” isn’t reasonable
> to mandate.
>
> After that though, it’s trying to create a higher order protocol for
> codepage detection. BOM isn’t a great way to identify UTF-8 data.
> (It’s probably more effective to decode it as UTF-8. If it decodes
> properly, then it’s likely UTF-8. With a certainty of about as many
> “nines” as you have bytes of input. Linguistically appropriate
> strings that fail that test are rare.)

We are agreed on these points.

Tom.