Re: P2717R2, EcoIS Introspection for discussion.

From: Iain Sandoe <iain_at_[hidden]>
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2023 05:01:45 +0100
Hi Folks

> On 17 Jun 2023, at 01:00, Charles-Henri Gros via SG15 <sg15_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
> I think the comment was directed at the person who said "it's easy to modify autotools to add this command line option", with the apparent implication that either this makes it easy for everyone interested in following the standard, or that the projects for which this is not easy do not matter.

This was one of two pieces of feedback I put to Rene (who’s work I very much appreciate, along with the other SG15 members who are addressing a monumentally complex issue).

It would be helpful if folks read the post twice before judging it; it did not advocate any solution, but picked one (autotools) as an example, there are several other entries in the same category.

Hopefully, during the live session I clarified my concern - but restating it here for those not present:

The feedback was that this table is potentially contentious, since everyone will have an opinion about their favourite tools - and that will side-track discussion away from the important content of the paper.

I believe it is sufficient to agree that across the range of tools there will be degrees of difficulty in implementation (perhaps the table would be less contentious as an informative annex).

It was just feedback; no more, and it did not alter that I am very much in favour of the paper.

Iain

For the record (although it ought not to be relevant) - I also have roughly 20 years each in open and closed source environments.