Re: Meeting schedule for Varna?

From: Ville Voutilainen <ville.voutilainen_at_[hidden]>
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2023 17:04:13 +0300
On Fri, 2 Jun 2023 at 19:02, René Ferdinand Rivera Morell via SG15
<sg15_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 2, 2023 at 10:58 AM Jens Maurer <jens.maurer_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> >

> > On 02/06/2023 17.44, René Ferdinand Rivera Morell via SG15 wrote:
> > > I noticed that SG15 is currently scheduled to meet on Friday. Which
> > > makes it impossible to forward anything to EWG.
> >
> > That's not accurate. You can forward anything you want to EWG,
> > and EWG will schedule it as they see fit (maybe for a telecon
> > or another meeting post-Varna).
>
> I'm not sure how it's not clear that I was referring to the preceding
> sentence scoping the statement to the Varna meeting. Especially given
> the subject of the email. And the subsequent sentence referring to
> time after Varna,

Well, sure, an end-of-week time slot for any study group makes it
impossible to forward stuff to another
group for that meeting.

However.. such forwarding is best done well before the meeting. A
study group ideally shouldn't wait until a
f2f meeting to forward material. In case there are realistic ways to
establish study group consensus, it's much
better to forward material in advance, and if at all possible, not
wait for a f2f meeting.

EWG apprently isn't jam-packed scheduling-wise, but in any meeting,
the probability of getting a timeslot
decreases if you don't have the material ready-to-go in the
pre-meeting mailing, or before it. And given our
new ways of having meetings as teleconferences, one would entertain
the possibility that technically, it
would be possible to forward material, for example, "five minutes from
now", or "two months ago", just
as examples of alternative forwarding time points, as opposed to
"during a meeting week".

It baffles me that a forwarding time point is left to the meeting
week, and I'd find it explicable if the scheduler and allocator of
meeting spaces
for the f2f meeting would find it equally baffling why a group X
should meet early in the week to forward material
to group Y, when one would hope they'd forward that material *much*
earlier, relative to any f2f meeting. And I don't find it
alarming if material that becomes ready to be forwarded during a f2f
meeting gets processed further in the next meeting,
f2f or virtual, that's just how things go when possible ready-to-go
material is given schedule slots that it perhaps rightfully deserves.