Re: P2717R1, EcoIS Introspection

From: Tom Honermann <tom_at_[hidden]>
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2023 17:32:16 -0400
On 6/2/23 5:08 PM, Olga Arkhipova wrote:
> In my experience - a lot of things can go wrong when launching a process and it is often hard to reason about failures there.
>
> It is much easier/more robust to work with json files.
I tend to agree. Though there are plenty of things that can go wrong
with side files as well, on balance, I would favor them. The major con
with side files is that they can get out of sync with the executable. On
the other hand, if a side file is incorrect in some way, it is much
easier to update it to workaround issues than it is to workaround an
issue with a tool's command line behavior.
> I believe that IDEs and different generators will very likely be interested in build tool capabilities. And those IDE/generators processes might not even be able to launch a tool as they are not necessarily running in the environment the tool can run. Or they might be running on a different OS altogether for some cross-platform development.
This is a very good point.
> For side files distribution - my understanding is that the world is moving to "download my tools as a package" paradigm and it should not be a problem there.

Some OSs went in that direction over 30 years ago; I'm glad others are
finally catching up! ;)

Tom.