Re: [isocpp-ext] Can we expect that all C++ source files can have the same suffix?

From: Tom Honermann <tom_at_[hidden]>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2022 12:37:42 -0400
On 4/25/22 12:22 PM, Iain Sandoe wrote:

>>> Agreed, but the driver typically makes decisions about forming commands
>>> based on flags provided and suffixes to files.
>>>
>>> (at least for the two I am familiar with) it does not do dependency analysis
>>> nor does it have any need to parse the source.
>> Dependency analysis need not be required for use of a modular standard library.
>>
>> I don't think anyone is asking for the driver to support arbitrary modules. The request is that it be able to handle the standard library.
> My comment was in response to the “we already have a trivial build system in the driver”;
> I was not intending to be philosophical (I completely agree that to the end user it makes no difference where the functionality resides - just how it looks)
>
> However, for the drivers with which I am familiar, they are doing a very complex job of managing the interactions between all the various flags, source code dasignations and all the other stuff that the standard does not describe.
I agree, they are surprisingly complex.

> That job is quite orthogonal to the one of deciding how to find a BMI for <vector> … especially, since to date the driver would never parse any source code to see that it even needed to consider vector.
I disagree, at least somewhat. Consider an invocation like 'clang++
t.cpp -o t'. The driver will search for, and attempt to link with, the
standard C++ library (-lstdc++ or -lc++) regardless of whether the
program being compiled requires is.

> So, please read my comment as an engineering “what we have now is far from what we would need, it’s not a done deal”.
Thank you, that is appreciated :)

>>> I suspect it would be better to place the ‘trivial build’ system as a separate
>>> entity (perhaps invoked by the driver) rather than upgunning the driver to
>>> have those properties.
> Nathan’s mapper-server along with the module-mapper interface can be seen as such a facility.

Indeed, and I think is worth considering the possibility of the
mapper-server running within the driver (limited to support of the
standard library) unless a mapper-server is explicitly specified on the
driver command line.

Tom.