Re: [isocpp-ext] Can we expect that all C++ source files can have the same suffix?

From: Steve Downey <sdowney_at_[hidden]>
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2022 16:57:31 -0400
On Sat, Apr 16, 2022 at 2:47 PM René Ferdinand Rivera Morell via Ext <
ext_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 16, 2022 at 1:41 PM Daniel Ruoso via SG15 <
> sg15_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
>> I, personally, think it's time to get over the expectation that it's
>> realistic to use c++ without a build system.
>>

>> Especially in teaching context, we should prepare folks to the real
>> world, which necessarily involves a build system, instead of creating this
>> anachronistic requirements.
>>

> It is important for programmers, especially for C++, to understand the
> entire pipeline that they use. Relying on tools, like build systems and
> IDEs, hiding the knowledge makes for inefficient programmers. Learning that
> pipeline starts at invoking the compiler directly.
>
> But even as a build system engineer, I turn off verbose output of build
commands all the time. In my production builds it's often a K or two of
flags and options, and not terribly meaningful unless I'm debugging a weird
compilation error and need to get the preprocessed source. I think C++
engineers should have a reading knowledge of assembler, but that's not a
good place to start when learning. The best path doesn't really have to
trace the entire history of tool development.

Even python treats having `setup.py` for build and install as a 102 level
course.