Re: [SG15] module source suffixes

From: Nathan Sidwell <nathan_at_[hidden]>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2019 07:34:22 -0400
On 8/29/19 1:15 PM, Boris Kolpackov via SG15 wrote:
> Nathan Sidwell <nathan_at_[hidden]> writes:
>
>> Which one of those claims:
>>
>> 1) They are C++ source files,
>> 2) we already have a convention for suffixing C++ source files,
>> 3) that is the default position
>>
>> do you disagree with?
>
> That depends on what exactly you mean by "C++ source file".

Are you claiming they are not source files?

'The text of the program is kept in units called source files in this
document.' [lex]/1

> Now we have several different kinds. One can argue that they are
> common enough to all use the same extension. Or one can argue that
> they are different enough to warrant a distinction.

I think the onus is on those arguing that they are sufficiently different.

> In a modular world an interface unit[*] replaces a header and, IMO,
> similar to headers, it will be useful to both tools and humans
> if they are easily distinguishable from other translation units.

(a) that needs to be shown and
(b) there are ways other than a new suffix to distinguish them.

nathan

--
Nathan Sidwell