Re: [Tooling] [isocpp-modules] March 22 telecon minutes

From: Ben Boeckel <ben.boeckel_at_[hidden]>
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2019 17:04:54 -0400
On Sat, Mar 23, 2019 at 01:35:39 +0000, Ben Craig wrote:
> The agenda that was in the telecon will come in a later email, here's
> the minutes. Note that some people that couldn't make the meeting
> have been assigned homework. Many thanks to Tom for taking minutes
> today!

Sorry, BlueJeans just kept disconnecting me, so I ended up just going to
eat lunch instead.

> BC: Introduces agenda; agreement on the outline of the TR; get volunteers; minimal tech talk.
> BC: Any objection to the findings as an outline?
> JF: Need to base this on code at some point. Would like to see a code
> base that uses modules and multiple build systems. We can talk all
> day about theoretical concerns, but need to base work on reality.

I've been using
https://gitlab.kitware.com/ben.boeckel/cxx-modules-sandbox for this so
far. I've asked folks who mentioned it that adding build2 and plain
Makefile support would be very welcome. I can move this to GitHub if
this makes it easier for folks.

We also have a project here which might be willing to be a real-world
example for migration, but details need hammered out there first.

> BC: Michael Spencer is working on dependency scanning. So is Ben
> Boeckel. Can I record them as volunteers to work on this?

I'm fine with this.

> MSp: Yes.
> JF: Dependency scanning is part of build system implementation. What is the goal of discussing dependency scanning (and other features we're
> discussing) as part of the TR?
> MS: It is a contract between stakeholders.
> TH: Not concerned about implementation details; concerned about
> ensuring meta data is represented in ways usable by multiple tools,
> buld systems, etc..

I've been taking silence to my format proposal as tacit acceptance. Is
this a valid assumption?

Thanks,

--Ben