Re: [ub] Undefined behaviour from uninitialised variables

From: Tony Van Eerd <tvaneerd_at_[hidden]>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2013 17:41:11 +0000

> > Had I a time machine, this would be my preference (not just missing
> members,
> > but all uninitialized variables). But I agree with Ville that this
> would
> > break backwards compatibility.
> >
> > On the other hand, maybe adding an attribute would help?
>
> Sorry, I should have been more clear.
>
> I was not suggesting that we remove the old notation, as you say that
> is impossible. However, with an attribute to denote "I really meant to
> leave this variable/member unitialised", compilers could more eagerly
> warn about uninitialised variables or members.

Yes, that's what I thought you were saying - so it wasn't entirely unclear :-)

ie (not really suggesting this syntax, just as an example)

int i; // old style. Uninitialized. Was this intentional?
int j = *; // new style - *purposely* uninitialized
int k = 3; // initialized.

Now compilers can more aggressively warn about 'i'.

And, in theory, we could even make it deprecated...

Tony