Re: [ub] [c++std-ext-14557] Re: Sized integer types and char bits

From: Richard Smith <richardsmith_at_[hidden]>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2013 15:40:47 -0700
On Sat, Oct 19, 2013 at 8:51 PM, Jason Merrill <jason_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On 10/18/2013 11:15 PM, Lawrence Crowl wrote:
> > There were machines being sold in the 90's that were not two's
> complement, but I've lost track
> > since then.
>

> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6971886/exotic-architectures-the-standard-committee-cares-about
>
> The Unisys machine mentioned in the top-rated answer still seems to be
> sold.

Has anyone ever written a non-twos-complement C++ compiler for this machine?
Has anyone ever written *any* non-twos-complement C++ implementation?
And... does anyone intend to write a non-twos-complement *C++17*implementation?

If the answer to these questions is "don't know", how do we find out?
Strawman suggestion: remove non-twos-complement support from the standard
and wait to see if anyone complains (with the intent that we would restore
such support if there are actual complaints, not just hypothetical ones).
The world would have nearly four years to notice and react. Thoughts?