Re: [ub] Sized integer types and char bits

From: Gabriel Dos Reis <gdr_at_[hidden]>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2013 06:33:57 +0000

Indeed; and I was not trying to imply that people on the "undefined" side
do not care about programmers and errors. Quite the contrary. I am
working on a document that attempts to explain this further.

| In particular, knowing that (a) there is no
| trap value and (b) that there is a 1-1 mapping from pit patterns to
| integral numbers affects how programmers interpret data.
|
| Having said that, my expectation is that programmers that care about
| (a) and (b) also care about the size of the integer. In that case,
| int32_t et.al. require a two's complement representation. The
| programmers that care should use those typedefs.

Correct. Of concern is that the fact that intN_t integer types are
"optional" (in the sense of conditionally-supported), and some people
worry about the effect of writing portable codes. I can see how
that can be a problem on most common "desktop" architectures
since interfaces published in terms of typedefs (to builtin types)
don't play ball very well with overloading.

| Net result, no change to the standard.

Well, I would like to see _something_ done in this area -- exactly, what?
I don't know yet :-)

For instance, what we lose if we go from undefined behavior to
unspecified? E.g. the behavior on erroneous construct isn't unrestricted
yet allow for tools to instrument and/or report?

-- Gaby