Re: [ub] [c++std-ext-14555] Sized integer types and char bits

From: Gabriel Dos Reis <gdr_at_[hidden]>
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2013 17:36:39 +0000

You are quite correct that I have not myself written code
for non-simulated hardware I have personal knowledge of being
sign-magnitude or 1's complement.
However:
   a. Existence of such machines and their being continually sold
       have been reported by various people;
   b. It is not clear that the support for one's complement or sign-magnitude
       adds a substantial complication, or that a substantial simplification
       of the standards specification is to be gained from introducing that
       requirement. For example, I don't think support for these binary
       representation would stop us from modifying the specification of
       signed integer arithmetic overflow -- my take-away from the Chicago
       meeting was that defining that be wrapping will be a very terrible idea
       would meet opposition.

| - The existence of intptr_t and uintptr_t types.
| (Just the existence; no guarantees that pointers have unique
| bit-pattern representations.)

I agree with you on this one. I would like to see the standards
require intptr_t and uintptr_t.

-- Gaby