Re: [std-proposals] ABI

From: Thiago Macieira <thiago_at_[hidden]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2024 07:28:07 -0700
On Tuesday 23 July 2024 06:28:25 GMT-7 Henry Miller via Std-Proposals wrote:
> What functionality do you want to add the standard library that breaks ABI?
> I can think of a few, but all end up being things that show up in
> microbenchmarks but won't have a large real world effect. As such the
> argument for changing ABI isn't very strong.

To be clear, Hans is saying that he has no feature he wants added in the
language that would break ABI, nor is he advocating for anything that would
require it. But he is adding the permission to do it, if the need arises.

Some time earlier in the discussion, I asked for a discussion on whether this
need has arisen in the past and what became of it. Past results are not
necessarily indicative of future outcomes, but they can guide us. I have not
seen that research indicating that there is or may in the future be a need to
break ABI in content added to the Standard Library.

  Principal Engineer - Intel DCAI Platform & System Engineering