Re: [std-proposals] Stop gap required for NRVO until Anton's paper is assimilated

From: Tiago Freire <tmiguelf_at_[hidden]>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2024 16:13:41 +0000
The way I see it, any other solution that is not achieving guaranteed nrvo extensions without any additional markings (this includes functions) is a waste of time.

What you need is quite simple.
Any named variable X that is returned should guarantee nrvo unless a return statement exist that does not return X and X is alive.

I'm perfectly confident that the solution is this, and that this is implementable.
Everything else is just adds clutter to the language and is an automatic no from my part.

If there are any markings to be added, these would be in terms of attributes that have no effect on the generated code, but mark expectations on behavior (like [[fallthrough]], or [[maybe_unused]]):
i.e. you can mark a return statement as [[rvo]] (or something), but that only serves to issue a compiler warning in case the return statement cannot actually achieve rvo, either or not a variable is rvo is not dependent on the attribute.