Re: [std-proposals] Stop gap required for NRVO until Anton's paper is assimilated

From: Frederick Virchanza Gotham <cauldwell.thomas_at_[hidden]>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2024 09:52:18 +0100
On Thu, Jul 11, 2024 at 9:49 AM Frederick Virchanza Gotham wrote:

> I have written a paper today that proposes a solution to NRVO in C++.

Sorry I must have hit Send by mistake. Here's the rest of my email:

I have written a paper today that proposes a solution to NRVO in C++.
The feature proposed in my paper is inferior to that proposed in paper
P2025R2 authored by Anton Zhilin entitled "Guaranteed copy elision for
return variables". Anton’s paper proposes a superior solution to NRVO
than what is proposed in my paper, however I foresee that Anton’s
paper will not make it in time into C++26, and perhaps not C++29
either. The intention of my proposal is that std::factory and
std::after_factory shall be used until such time as Anton’s paper is
assimilated into the standard.

Here's my paper, which I intend to get a P number for:

    http://www.virjacode.com/papers/factory.htm

It describes two new library functions, 'std::factory' and 'std::after_factory'.