Re: [std-proposals] ABI

From: Jonathan Wakely <cxx_at_[hidden]>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2024 14:34:32 +0100
On Wed, 10 Jul 2024 at 09:22, Hans <hguijtra_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On 08/07/2024 17:46, Jonathan Wakely wrote:
> > "There is great reticence to add new standard library classes"
> >
> > Is there? I'm not sure I want to live in a world where we add a lot
> > /more/ classes to the standard, if what we have now is the result of
> > great reticence!
>
> It is my understanding that proposals have been rejected on the basis of
> ABI stability. If that impression is wrong, please let me know and I'll
> remove that sentence.

Proposals to *change* existing classes have been rejected for reasons
related to ABI stability. Your proposal says there is a reticence to add
new classes to the library, which is not the same as changing existing
classes, and I am unaware of any proposals to add *new* classes that have
been rejected.