Re: [std-proposals] PR: std::allocator<T>::allocate is not freestanding

From: Thiago Macieira <thiago_at_[hidden]>
Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2023 11:08:24 -0700
On Monday, 4 September 2023 08:36:17 PDT coshvji cujmlqef via Std-Proposals
wrote:
> Additionally, it's worth noting that the standard std::locale functionality
> has faced challenges in practice. For example, in some cases, libraries
> like libstdc++ may encounter crashes when users attempt to set a locale,
> and the naming conventions for locales are not standardized across
> platforms, particularly because Microsoft does not adhere to WG4 standards.
>
> As I mentioned, there is a viable alternative: providing a unified API that
> handles both strings and streams, which could also be compatible with
> third-party libraries such as Qt. It's essential to recognize that concerns
> regarding these issues can be effectively addressed by leveraging libraries
> like my fast_io library.

I agree. I'm just waiting for the links to the papers with the analyses.

Your presentation is not that. It's a compilation of conclusions (if I'm being
very generous). You're asking us to throw the baby with the bathwater -- some
of us may be willing to entertain that notion, but others will need more
convincing. That is, more analyses, in-depth, of the problems.