Re: [std-proposals] PR: std::allocator<T>::allocate is not freestanding

From: Thiago Macieira <thiago_at_[hidden]>
Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2023 10:59:38 -0700
On Monday, 4 September 2023 08:38:43 PDT coshvji cujmlqef via Std-Proposals
wrote:
> I can guarantee Qt is nowhere as portable and internationalized as fast_io.
> It even works on windows 95 and DOS to support those feature. (I am current
> working on support locale system on DOS)

Qt supported Windows 95, until we dropped it in version 4.4 (I think, maybe
4.5). The reason was the lack of W APIs causing us to have to maintain a
double set of everything, thus adding to the cost of maintenance of the
codebase, for too little gain.

The issues were never the low-level API like files and streams. Those problems
had usually been solved for a decade (though there were certainly bugs, like
trying to deal with CRLF in a transparent manner). No, the problems were the
higher-level things, like dealing with graphical objects, text formatting,
hardware access, hardware-acceleration, etc.

I commend you for even trying Win95 and DOS, but what for? What real-world
purpose does it serve to talk about those?