Re: [std-proposals] Function Pointer from Lambda with Captures

From: Thiago Macieira <thiago_at_[hidden]>
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2023 09:45:37 -0300
On Sunday, 16 April 2023 09:20:24 -03 Thiago Macieira via Std-Proposals wrote:
> JIT is a reliable solution for all applications, because in hardened systems
> it's completely prohibited: the system calls that would allow you to change
> a page's attributes are denied.

I meant: "JIT is unreliable for all".

By that, I mean that it works for a lot of applications, but not the totality,
even in the same system. The same hardened server may be running Node.js
(which uses the Chromium V8 JavaScript engine, which JITs) and have
applications hardened by SELinux that prohibits JIT. So the problem is not the
OS or the CPU, it's individual installations. JIT is something that
*applications* may choose to do, not libraries. C and C++ Libraries must see
JIT as an optimisation they have a graceful fail-over for, at runtime.

I don't see how your proposal or _Wide can have a fail-over, because if they
did, they wouldn't be necessary in the first place. Therefore, DOA.