Re: [std-proposals] Fwd: set_new_handler extension

From: Phil Bouchard <boost_at_[hidden]>
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2023 22:31:16 -0500
On 2/20/23 22:17, Thiago Macieira via Std-Proposals wrote:
> On Monday, 20 February 2023 17:42:59 PST Phil Bouchard via Std-Proposals
> wrote:
>> Although it's not happening with smaller buffers, I suspect Windows uses
>> different heaps based on their size but the large page heaps are
>> definitely faulty.
>
> Don't suspect. Prove it.

Prove what? Windows' code is proprietary.

> This is the entire problem with this thread: you're suspecting a problem and
> jumped to a conclusion that is unwarranted by the facts presented. We've
> already twice shown that the problem was not where you thought it was, meaning
> it's very hard to take any argument you're making on trust alone now. You're
> oh-for-two now; you want a "third time is the charm" case, not "strike three"
> (mixing my metaphors here).

I just explained it crashes on both Windows 10 and 11 with 28x and 16x
Intel Core i9 using Visual Studio 2019 in 64 bits Release mode.

> Plus, even if your root-causing of the issue had been right, you've not yet
> demonstrated how your proposed solution would fix anything.

I'm making my point first. I'll write a paper after I made my point.

> This is in spite of the fact that you can already do what you're proposing to
> do, without the need for a modification to the standard.

I saw that it is possible under Linux which is great but that would
dismiss Windows.

Although low-latency and high-performance algorithms aren't really used
under Windows, that "operator new and delete overrides across dynamic
libraries under Linux" knowledge is pretty obscure.

--
Logo <https://www.fornux.com/>
*Phil Bouchard*  facebook icon
<https://www.linkedin.com/in/phil-bouchard-5723a910/>
CTO
T: (819) 328-4743
E: phil_at_[hidden]| www.fornux.com <http://www.fornux.com>
8 rue de la Baie| Gatineau (Qc), J8T 3H3 Canada
Banner <https://goglobalawards.org/> Le message ci-dessus, ainsi que les
documents l'accompagnant, sont destinés uniquement aux personnes
identifiées et peuvent contenir des informations privilégiées,
confidentielles ou ne pouvant être divulguées. Si vous avez reçu ce
message par erreur, veuillez le détruire.
This communication (and/or the attachments) is intended for named
recipients only and may contain privileged or confidential information
which is not to be disclosed. If you received this communication by
mistake please destroy all copies.