Re: RFC: disjoint qualifier

From: Eric Lengyel <lengyel_at_[hidden]>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2020 16:58:00 -0700
> `data` would presumably return a `disjoint float*`, which is an out-right lie, since it is very much *not disjoint*

It is not the intention to provide any kind of alias safety whatsoever in this proposal, which is something I don't think can reasonably be done anyway. Also, there is nothing about disjoint that is intended to guarantee no duplicate pointers to disjoint storage exist. Disjointness is not a property of the pointer itself.

> So why is it part of the type system?

This is discussed in the proposal. It provides type safety that goes above and beyond what you'd get with restrict, and it allows overloading so that it's possible to have different versions of a same-named function depending on whether assumptions of disjointness can be made about the inputs.