Re: RFC: disjoint qualifier

From: Eric Lengyel <lengyel_at_[hidden]>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2020 13:06:03 -0700
> I think you have done all the wording before you've come up with any use-cases, and I think that's a problem

The use cases are exactly the same as they are for restrict in C, which I assume you’re familiar with. As highlighted in the proposal, applying restrict to a pointer leads to inconsistent language constructs, and it is not amenable to overloading. Applying the disjoint qualifier to the actual storage makes it possible to cleanly implement the mechanism intended by restrict in C++.

> void foo(disjoint int *r, disjoint int *s);

> int a, b;

> foo(&a, &b);

> you're telling me that that wouldn't compile?

Correct, that would not compile. You would need to declare a and b like this instead:

disjoint int a, b;

> disjoint int *p1 = ...;

> auto p2 = p1;

> static_assert(std::same_as<decltype(p1), decltype(p2)>); // ???

> If p2's type is the same as p1's, then they're both `disjoint int *` — and so you have two `disjoint int *` objects that point to the same place.

Yes, p1 and p2 both have type ‘disjoint int *’, and they both point to the same object. It is the programmer’s responsibility to use such pointers correctly, exactly the same as it would be with restrict, but with the added type safety that disjoint allows.