Re: P2192 R1 -- request for comments

From: Jason McKesson <jmckesson_at_[hidden]>
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2020 17:33:16 -0400
On Sat, Sep 12, 2020 at 12:18 PM Thiago Macieira via Std-Proposals
<std-proposals_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On Friday, 11 September 2020 02:18:45 PDT Dusan Jovanovic (DBJ) via Std-
> Proposals wrote:
> > An
> > issue is a lot of projects
> > <https://github.com/dbj-systems/libstdc-error/tree/crt_proxy_lib/crt_proxy_l
> > ib>might not have std::optional, because in there, there is no std lib
>
> That's not an argument. You can't add a type to the standard library because
> there are projects that can't use types in the standard library. Either they
> can use the standard library, in which case the existing types can be used, or
> they can't, in which case they won't use your proposed type either.

I'm fairly sure that the OP is referring to freestanding
implementations. `std::optional` is not required, but many other types
are required to be provided by such implementations. Presumably
`std::valstat` would be required (despite being something you could
write in 1 minute).