Re: Improved Member Operator Syntax

From: John McFarlane <john_at_[hidden]>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2019 09:49:56 +0100
On Wed, 16 Oct 2019 at 07:30, Andrew Tomazos via Std-Proposals <
std-proposals_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> While it may be agreed that your new syntax is better, we would need to
> keep the old syntax as well to avoid breaking existing code. That given, I
> don't think the new syntax is so much better than the old one that it
> warrants creating two different ways to declare the same operators. Keep
> in mind that having two ways would mean everyone would have to learn both
> ways in order to be able to read code.

I agree that this is an ambitious change. I do like the syntax a lot more
than the existing, though.

  For friends, could you / would you be able to specify a friend WRT a
specific parameter?

e.g.

friend auto operator this + (bar); // friend when this is LHS