C++ Logo

std-discussion

Re: Wording change about "base class type" in aliasing rules

From: Yongwei Wu <wuyongwei_at_[hidden]>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2021 23:49:59 +0800
On Tue, 9 Nov 2021 at 23:04, <language.lawyer_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On 09/11/2021 17:15, Yongwei Wu wrote:

> >> text

> [expr.ref]

> >> b2->i2
> >> access»?

> >> (say,
> the
> with.

> >> I don't understand what is your concern here.
> >> Is it again a question about why, if pB3 is used with the -> operator,
> >> then it can be assumed to point to an object of type «cv B3»?
> >>

> > My understanding of the C++17 rule:
> >
> > Writing to *pB2 may change *pD, and the compiler will always assume *pD
> > might have changed after I write to *pB2.
> >
> > Whereas:
> >
> > Writing to *pB3 must not change *pD (which would be undefined behaviour),
> > and the compiler will always assume *pD does not change after I write to
> > *pB3.
> >
> > My question has two parts:
> >
> > 1) Does it still hold for C++20? (I would guess yes.)
> > 2) If so, through which rules? (I cannot deduce the result from the C++20
> > standard text.)
>
> In a well-behaving program, there is no such thing as access
> (read/modification) of an object of class type.
> What can happen — is access to an object of a scalar type through
> different "paths", like pD->i1 and pB2->i1, if pB2 points to a base class
> subobject of *pD.
>
> Knowing that pB2 may point to a base class subobject of *pD is enough for
> a compiler to invalidate its knowledge about pD->i1 when pB2->i1 is
> modified, since these expressions can denote the same (scalar) object.
> I don't understand what kind of rule you are looking for. You have doubts
> that it is allowed to have a pointer to an object and a pointer to its base
> class subobject at the same time? If pD and pB2 are function parameters,
> you may look to the section about function call expression and everything
> which is related to it, like the section about initialization. They define
> behavior without such precondition.

It's just aliasing. Function parameter is just one case.

To clarify a bit, the precondition of my discussion is that the scalar
types at specified addresses are the same. So my example uses all ints.

> For the pB3 case, I think I've already wrote that there is not very
> clearly specified rule about object of which type E1 expression in E1.E2
> can denote.

It is the main concern. With C++17 or C, it seems modifying *pD by *pB3 is
undefined behaviour. With the current wording/clarification about "access",
I am no longer sure...

To give some background, I was bitten before by GCC for access patterns
like this. So apparently GCC considered it undefined behaviour.

Do you know for sure whether modifying *pD by *pB3 is undefined behaviour
or not NOW?