C++ Logo

std-discussion

Setting wording for bit manipulation for non-binary hardware

From: Vishal Oza <vickoza_at_[hidden]>
Date: Sat, 6 Mar 2021 11:53:46 -0600
I was thinking of making the bit and bitset libraries as well bit
manipulation operators with the exception of endian and possibly left and
right bitshift to undefined behavior if the base is not 2 in hardware. Most
computer hardware uses base 2 but I am thinking of creating
specialized hardware that is used to determine if a number is most likely
not prime by setting the base to 6 rather than 2 as this can guarantee
primes less than 36 and might be reasonable for primes greater than 36.
This might also be useful for quantum computing.

I just wanted to see if there is any interest in this proposal.

Vishal Oza