C++ Logo

std-discussion

Re: [basic.life]/8.5 interpretation

From: language.lawyer_at <language.lawyer_at_[hidden]>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2020 13:30:47 +0300
I think, p1 p2 must be the old and the new objects, they can't be the same object.
I assume p1 and p2 are needed for the following code:

struct S { int i; };

S s {};
int& ri = s.i;

new (&s) S {};

where the wording guarantees that `ri` will refer to the new int subobject (o2) of the object of type S (p2)